Cyber Crime Investigation in Hong Kong
Cyber Crime in Hong Kong, Digitpol’s Cyber Crime and Security Investigation experts investigates digital and cyber enabled crimes such as hacking incidents, data breaches, phishing attacks, email fraud, financial crimes, online scams and cyber attacks.
When Digitpol is engaged, we ensure that no digital evidence is overlooked and assist at any stage of an investigation, regardless of the size or location of data sources. Claims of leaks, fraud, cyber espionage, financial tampering, computer crime, employee misconduct, and other illegal or wrongdoing actions require corporations, law firms, and government agencies to deploy digital forensic methods to piece together facts that lead to the truth.
We investigate and analyse unauthorised cyber access or hacking incidents such as when someone gains access to your cloud, server or physical device without your permission. Hackers may gain access to your computer or device through security weaknesses, malware or phishing. Once they have compromised your email, banking or social media accounts, they can change passwords preventing you from accessing your account. Scammers often send out messages impersonating and directing people to fake websites, or asking them to send money. Modern attacks are very sophisticated the fake websites may seem to be genuine.
Malware Investigation Analysis
Cyber Criminals may use malicious software (or malware) to monitor your online activity and cause damage to the computer. Malware is often downloaded when people open an infected email attachment or click a suspicious link in an email. Malware can also be used to steal your usernames, passwords or other information, which is then forwarded to a third party. ‘Malware’ is a catch all term to describe different types of malware which include viruses, worms, spyware, trojans or bots.
Digitpol's specialised Malware and Virus analysis team trace malware, detect and remove threats and analyse the function and trace data transfer routes.
Sophisticated attacks Investigation
Sophisticated criminals are active daily to exploit vulnerabilities on computers and other devices. Some of the techniques they use include:
- Online Scams & Fraud - Digitpol's Cyber and Fraud Team are certified fraud and forensic examiners and can deploy to assist with all cases related to email fraud, email spear phishing attacks, email scams and on-line related fraud.
- Hacking – when someone gains access to your computer or device without permission,
- Malware – malicious software (such as viruses, trojans and spyware) which monitor your online activity and cause damage to the computer.
- Phishing Attack Investigation - Phishing attacks, email fraud, scams, online fraud happens in most cases when cyber criminals find ways to hack into the email servers or accounts of small and medium companies, often targeting those with business in Asia countries
Email Fraud Investigation
Digitpol's Cyber and Fraud Team are certified fraud and forensic examiners and can deploy to assist with all cases related to email fraud, email spear phishing attacks, email scams and on-line related fraud. Phishing attacks, email fraud, scams, online fraud happens in most cases when cyber criminals find ways to hack into the email servers or accounts of small and medium companies, often targeting those with business in Asia countries. Cyber criminals gain access to email accounts and search through email accounts looking for sensitive information such as outstanding, unpaid invoices or data relating to financial transactions and business between supplier, vendor and clients. When cyber criminals identify a sale or a due invoice, the fraudsters then send various fictitious emails from the hacked email account or an email address replicated to the original purporting to be in charge of the sale or due invoice to be paid, the fraudster is then asking for transfers of funds into a nominated bank account, usually giving an excuse that there is a problem at the bank and an alternative account needs to be used.
If you are a victim of a cyber crime, follow these steps:
You need to respond quickly. Email Fraud in its several formats such as online identity theft, financial fraud, stalking, bullying, hacking, e-mail fraud, email spoofing, invoice fraud, email scams, banking scam, CEO fraud. Cyber fraud can lead to major disruption and financial disasters.
- Immediately alert your bank the transaction is fraudulent. This is most urgent.
- Report the incident as soon as possible to your local police in the country you reside in. Obtain the Police report or case number
- Report the case to the Hong Kong Police. Obtain the Police report or case number.
- When required, engage Digitpol and its legal team to act for you in Hong Kong to examine the evidence, prepare a report, investigate the case, and liaise with the Authorities and the Banks.
- If your physically located in Hong Kong, go directly to a Police station, and bring all the evidence with you.
- Before you submit data to us, watch the step by step explainer on what to do if your a victim of Stock or Investment Fraud What To Do If Your a Victim of Email or Invoice Fraud